Applied Research (+)
Identify and analyze the various institutional, political and pedagogical issues that have an impact on the quality of the delivery of services related to correctional education.
Documentation Centre (+)
Collect, organize, handle and distribute to the international community the research and information on innovative practices related to education in the prison environment.
Community of interests (+)
Create an international community of interests that will enable professors, researchers, students, educators, practitioners, prison administrators, NGOs and consultants to disseminate their research and innovative practices in the area of correctional education and to discuss the common issues and challenges.
Training and raising awareness (+)
Contribute to improve the quality of services in the correctional education sector; first by training the community’s stakeholders and second, by raising the decision-makers’ awareness with respect to the advantages of correctional education.
- Initiate and support applied research projects conducted by instructors, stakeholders, professionals and researchers.
- Promote new research fields.
- Study and analyze the motivations governing the implementation of educational programs.
- Integrate the different aspects of correctional education.
- Impacts of privatization on correctional education.
- Analyze the role of education within the judicial system.
- Create work groups dealing with the most significant aspects of correctional education.
- Update qualitative and quantitative data on education.
- Promote interdisciplinary research projects in various institutions of higher education in domains related to correctional education.
- Compare instructors’ curricula.
- Analyze the discussions, joint research projects and interventions conducted among decision-makers, teachers, practitioners, civil society, NGOs, families of prisoners, and prisoners.
- Identify and catalogue the largest number of studies, research projects, articles and pertinent international publications.
- Create an electronic documentation centre for researchers, professors, practitioners and consultants.
- Collect strategic intelligence on the field of correctional education.
- Regularly publish an information bulletin (in the form of a newsletter sent via email).
- Using the Chair’s Website, promote all new studies or publications concerning correctional education.
Community of interests
- Create an interactive Website allowing international access to all researchers and practitioners in the education domain.
- Establish an international committee of scientists and practitioners that will form the core of the community of interests.
- Establish an online discussion forum.
- Facilitate the emergence and consolidation of interdisciplinary networks of researchers through discussion forum activity.
Training and raising awareness
- Identify the sector’s training and professional development needs.
- Offer training sessions, first in Canada and then on an international level.
- Create a brief training curriculum for correctional education instructors and penitentiary administrators.
- Develop training tools for human resources concerned with correctional education.
- Organize an international conference. Share research results with decision makers to contribute to the political thought and decision making processes.
- Inform the UN agencies and UNESCO’s national commissions.
- Have discussions with governments and institutions, such as, the authorities responsible for penal institutions.
- Organize symposia in order to increase awareness of this subject.